Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:55 pm by cheekychook

» feed during the colder months
Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:53 pm by cheekychook

» please help
Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:20 pm by GGBEAR

» Older hen problem
Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:03 pm by Theanalyst

» What's Your HenStory?
Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:59 pm by What'sYourHenStory?

» henhouse temperature ?
Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:50 am by fishfarmer

» new chickens not laying
Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:31 am by chrissib

» Chick won't go home to lay??
Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:48 am by fishfarmer

» odd egg laying
Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:55 pm by GGBEAR

Classifieds
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of Clucks & Chooks on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Clucks & Chooks on your social bookmarking website

Unwell Chicken-please help!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Unwell Chicken-please help!!

Post  BradyBird on Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:38 pm

Hi
I had 3 ex-bat hens two years ago. One unfortunately has recently died through similar symptoms of what another of my hens, Betty, is now suffering from, and wondered if any of you coud help in diagnosing.

Late afternoon yesterday, Betty, started sitting for a long time on the grass, not moving.
Today, she didn't leave the nesting box for a while but eventually came out & is currently sitting under some shrubs. She is closing her eyes & rocking slightly. Her once lovely bright red comb is now starting to droop & is looking a bruised purple colour. This has all literally happened within 24 hours.

Our other hen, Mabel, died with similar symptoms, although she was mobile for alot longer, and when we did take her to the vets, she had quite a large growth at the back end of her abdomen.
At that time, we were advised to worm all of our chickens, which we did & Mabel had anti-biotics - which unfortunately didn't work. The vet gave no explaination & it now looks like its happening again.

Does anyone know what is wrong with our chickens or the cause, or even a suggestion as to what to do next.
Could it be poisoning?

Thank you.

BradyBird
Hatchling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Unwell Chicken-please help!!

Post  Ronnytigs on Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:55 pm

I have just lost my Daisy, she of the huge eggs.
Such a sad time, when you see them going down, and so quickly too.

Sometimes I think we just have to accept that there is not much we can do, except keep them comfy.
Sometimes they manage to pull through by themselves, sometimes they don't.

Mine are ex-batts, and I have lost two in a very similar fashion.
Ronnytigs
Hatchling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top