Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:55 pm by cheekychook

» feed during the colder months
Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:53 pm by cheekychook

» please help
Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:20 pm by GGBEAR

» Older hen problem
Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:03 pm by Theanalyst

» What's Your HenStory?
Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:59 pm by What'sYourHenStory?

» henhouse temperature ?
Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:50 am by fishfarmer

» new chickens not laying
Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:31 am by chrissib

» Chick won't go home to lay??
Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:48 am by fishfarmer

» odd egg laying
Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:55 pm by GGBEAR

Classifieds
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of Clucks & Chooks on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Clucks & Chooks on your social bookmarking website

[b]Fox visit[/b]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[b]Fox visit[/b]

Post  Chuckyduck on Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:59 pm

I can't believe it's happened. Evil or Very Mad
We went out today at lunchtime and we were back again by 3pm and IT been!
There were feathers everywhere. I think IT's had two of the girls, but I'll have to wait a bit longer before I close the hatch to the chicken shed, just in case they managed to find cover somewhere.
I saw all the fathers outside the hut, dashed inside and one of the girls was on the floor in her side. I scooped her up and I've been sat with her on my lap ever since. Her legs seem OK, but I think she has a broken wing, plus plenty of feathers missing. I've also located the cockerell, IT's had a go at him as well. He's sat under a bush at the moment and will not come out at all, so we'll have to go on the rescue soon. Two other girls, Axle and Mrs Knock Knees seem perfectly OK.
I thought it was too good to be true, this has never happened to us before and now we'll have to be extra careful as IT will be back I'm sure.
I'll keep you posted on events, better go and get them bedded down for the night. My other half is now planning his revenge, so IT had better be afraid, very very afraid. affraid

Chuckyduck
Hatchling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [b]Fox visit[/b]

Post  Chuckyduck on Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:19 am

Had to coax Corporal Zingerburger from under the rhodedendron bush, he looked so forelorn. Managed to get another two chooks back into the hut, plus the one that I had been nursing , so it looks like we're two down.
Had another scout round to see if we could find where the fox had taken them, but to no avail. Couldn't believe my eyes though, just walking down the path back home and something just caught my eye. The little sod was sat on the hill just watching our every move. When it realised it had been seen, it shot off over the hill with a cursory backward glance as it went over the skyline.
I went back again at 9pm to see if perhaps the other two girls had made it home, but sadly not. Poor Corporal, he was sat on his perch looking really sad and alone and definately all shook up. The little hen that had been sat on my knee was sat in one of the egg boxes looking really scared. The other two had obviously not met the fox as they were quite happy feeding their faces, totally oblivious to it all.
We're convinced that we've not had a visit before because either one of us is always home and out and about, usually with the dogs in tow. Needless to say we're on high alert, code red. Up early in the morning to see if we can see where the fox is coming from and plan our revenge. I'll keep everyone in now for a few days just to settle their nerves and just in case the fox comes back for another go.

Chuckyduck
Hatchling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheekychook on Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:48 pm

Oh Chuckyduck, I've only just read your post as I missed it with it being in the Introduce your Hens section. I'm so sorry to hear of your poor girls and Corporal Zingerburgers' experience. Crying or Very sad

How are the rest of the group getting on now? I hope you haven't had any more visits from that little Evil or Very Mad

cheekychook
Admin

View user profile http://www.henkeeping.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Update

Post  Chuckyduck on Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:51 pm

The girls are all OK, there are now 12 of them in total and we still have Corporal Zingerburger. We only have 2 of the original girls after the visit by the fox, so I visited a local poultry dealer and bought some new ones. I bought 3 Wyandotts, 5 Rhodies and 2 Black Rocks. The 3 Wyandotts have serious attitude and give the little black rocks a hard time and walk around here like they own the place. They've all given my garden a serious battering as well, they just love scratching around the place. When I'm gardening they just lay in wait for the worms to appear. I must admit I had a good chuckle to myself today, they majority were sunbathing on the grass as it's been such a lovely day here today. Another of their favorite haunts is under my partners digger, so they come out from under that with big black greasy marks all over them. This lot won't win any prizes for looks, but they certainly provide us with lots of laughs and as an added bonus they are laying eggs for fun, at least 10 a day.

Chuckyduck
Hatchling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheekychook on Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:46 pm

Hi Chuckyduck!

Glad to hear your girls are doing OK now and that Corporal Zingerburger is back to normal!

10 eggs a day! Shocked What are you doing with all of them? Selling some? Baking? Got any good recipes?

We've just had a glut of eggs, sold some to friends, given them to family and we've also pickled a load!

cheekychook
Admin

View user profile http://www.henkeeping.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  flump on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:39 pm

I am sorry to hear about the fox,recently a fried of mine warned me about a fox in our area as the fox visited her coop and killed all of them apart from 1 chick and 1 hen ! she was devestated,apparently the fox had been digging round the back of the coop and covering the hole with leaves etc,once his hole was under the coop he attacked,her children were so upset at seeing feathers and chicken bits spread around the garden,her husband tried to make the coop more secure but the fox came back and had the remaining 2.She has given up on chickens now im afraid to say,it hit her really bad as she had 12 alltogether.Another friend who lives the other end of town had his geese attacked by a fox the same week,im lucky as my husband placed slabs all around the coop after my friends loss and the coop is off the ground,so im hoping ine is now fox free.
flump

flump
Hatchling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top