Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:55 pm by cheekychook

» feed during the colder months
Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:53 pm by cheekychook

» please help
Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:20 pm by GGBEAR

» Older hen problem
Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:03 pm by Theanalyst

» What's Your HenStory?
Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:59 pm by What'sYourHenStory?

» henhouse temperature ?
Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:50 am by fishfarmer

» new chickens not laying
Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:31 am by chrissib

» Chick won't go home to lay??
Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:48 am by fishfarmer

» odd egg laying
Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:55 pm by GGBEAR

Classifieds
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of Clucks & Chooks on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Clucks & Chooks on your social bookmarking website

Sick hen...need any advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sick hen...need any advice

Post  molbaygun on Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:03 am

I am at a loss. To start, I don't know how old my hen Cherry is because she came from a friend of a friend. Cherry has been hanging out for the past 5 days. I first noticed diarhea,falling asleep standing up, minimal eating and drinking, then she went to sleep on a pile of hay and stayed here for a few days. She has not laid any eggs since we have had her which is about 2 months now. When she tried to get up she wobbled a bit then laid back down. I picked her up and cleaned up her rear end. I then gave her bread in buttermilk (heated), then I put Terramycin in her water. Over the next few days I fed her raw corn, worms, veggies which she ate a bit and water which she drank. Then she laid back down. She seems weak. Her comb is small and always has been. It is also dark red. She is not sneezing, coughing or does not have a runny nose. Her tail is up while she is sitting and down when and if she walks. She did walk around a bit yesterday and even walked outside but came back into the coop and got comfy again in a nest box where she went to sleep. At one point she was even looking up at the roost as if she wanted to get up there. I picked her up and placed her on the roost where she hung out for a bit until one of the other hens jumped down and she fell off. Her wings were out a bit then she pulled them in while she was on the floor. I am feeding her everyday and trying to make sure that she gets something in her. I am also giving her water with electrolytes now. I don't know what else to do and what is going on. I am tired of reading all the books and searching the internet. I just want her to be healthy again.

molbaygun
Hatchling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sick hen...need any advice

Post  cheekychook on Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:11 pm

So sorry to hear your situation. I hope your girl is picking up! I wish I'd read this sooner.

With the symptoms you have described it sounds a bit like peritonitis (infection in the egg cavity). She probably needs to be seen by the vet and he's likely to prescribe her Baytril or NOROCLAV.

Please update us on her progress...I really hope she's picked up!

Best wishes to your and your hen!

cheekychook
Admin

View user profile http://www.henkeeping.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  flump on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:14 pm

I am sorry to hear about your poorly hen,i also had a hen suffering in much the same way,except she went off her legs and walked like she was drunk.My hen suffered from brain damage due to an unfortunate accident,she died about 2 months later,she was sorely missed.Im sure your hen has not got brain damage unless you can think of any way her head has been injured ? I cannot think of anything else it could be,but wish her a speedy recovery,please keep us updated.
flump

flump
Hatchling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top