Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:55 pm by cheekychook

» feed during the colder months
Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:53 pm by cheekychook

» please help
Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:20 pm by GGBEAR

» Older hen problem
Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:03 pm by Theanalyst

» What's Your HenStory?
Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:59 pm by What'sYourHenStory?

» henhouse temperature ?
Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:50 am by fishfarmer

» new chickens not laying
Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:31 am by chrissib

» Chick won't go home to lay??
Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:48 am by fishfarmer

» odd egg laying
Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:55 pm by GGBEAR

Classifieds
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of Clucks & Chooks on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Clucks & Chooks on your social bookmarking website

Any ideas what's wrong?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Any ideas what's wrong?

Post  petchickens on Tue May 22, 2012 10:38 am

This chicken has been looking under the weather for about a month now. I thought it was red mite so did all the cages and waited a week to see if she was any better but no change. Some days she would look like she was getting better then the next it would be back to square one. She has been eating and drinking until today but has lost alot of weight. I had another hen like this at the same time as her but that one went downhill quicker. I gave the otherone batril and syringed feed it for over a week. I was wondering if anyone knows what time hen could have as I don't want to just give it baytril if it can be avoided plus I would like to know for future reference. It has been with my hens the whole time and none of them have caught anything from it or show any signs of illness.
The hen is sitting hunched and her comb and face have gone very pale (this has only been in the last week or so) she doesn't move around much and tends to just sit down in the house.
I tried to put pictures on but they don't seem to be working?
Thanks for any help

petchickens
Hatchling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Any ideas what's wrong?

Post  cheekychook on Wed May 23, 2012 11:01 pm

Sorry to hear your chook isn't well.

It's so difficult to tell what is wrong with a chicken because they show the usual signs of being ill (listless, lethargic, not eating, hunched up etc).

I recently lost a hen to illness but I couldn't tell you what was wrong with her and she was poorly for about 3 weeks.

I do the usual checks:
  • Have a feel of the crop to see if there's any blockages.
  • Check their legs and feet to see if the scales are raised (scaly leg symptom)
  • Have a feel of their undercarriage to see if there's any swelling anywhere which might indicate something like peritonitis.
  • Check under the wings and tail area for parasites

If you still can't see any obvious sign of what might be wrong, you might want to consider seeking advice from a vet?

Let us know how you get on!

cheekychook
Admin

View user profile http://www.henkeeping.co.uk

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top