Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:55 pm by cheekychook

» feed during the colder months
Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:53 pm by cheekychook

» please help
Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:20 pm by GGBEAR

» Older hen problem
Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:03 pm by Theanalyst

» What's Your HenStory?
Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:59 pm by What'sYourHenStory?

» henhouse temperature ?
Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:50 am by fishfarmer

» new chickens not laying
Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:31 am by chrissib

» Chick won't go home to lay??
Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:48 am by fishfarmer

» odd egg laying
Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:55 pm by GGBEAR

Classifieds
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of Clucks & Chooks on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Clucks & Chooks on your social bookmarking website

Artificial light

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Artificial light

Post  Yorky on Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:47 pm

I've recently got three pullets and want to put a light in the coop to simulate daylight. Does anyone know what brightness the light (CFL) should be and how much extra light I should give them to stimulate laying. They are approx. 18 weeks old.

Yorky
Hatchling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Artificial light

Post  cheekychook on Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:00 pm

Hi Yorky!

Welcome to the Clucks & Chooks forum! cheers

I don't have much experience in this area, but hopefully some one who does know a bit about this will be able to offer you some advice.

Out of curiosity, can I ask why you are choosing to add artificial light to the coop with just 3 hens?

If you're on Facebook, be sure to check out the Clucks & Chooks facebook group! http://www.facebook.com/friends/#/group.php?gid=22941669287

cheekychook
Admin

View user profile http://www.henkeeping.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Yorky on Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:36 pm

by CheekyChook on Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:00 pm
Hi Yorky!

Welcome to the Clucks & Chooks forum! cheers

I don't have much experience in this area, but hopefully some one who does know a bit about this will be able to offer you some advice.

Out of curiosity, can I ask why you are choosing to add artificial light to the coop with just 3 hens?

If you're on Facebook, be sure to check out the Clucks & Chooks facebook group! http://www.facebook.com/friends/#/group.php?gid=22941669287

Thanks for your reply. I am adding artificial light to the coop to stimulate the pullets to lay - I've heard various reports that they need 11 - 14 hours of light per day so I'm simply extending natural daylight with a light.

No, I'm not on facebook.

Yorky
Hatchling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheekychook on Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:24 pm

Personally I think artificial lighting for 3 hens to lay is an expensive route.

Whereabouts do you live in the UK?

I currently have 10 hens and live in the Highlands so as you can imagine, the daylight hours during the winter are minimal (roughly about 6 hours) but my hens still continued to lay albeit not as much as they do in the summer.

Your girls will need a rest from laying too as in the colder months their energy should go into keeping them warm and that's why they don't lay as much during the winter. It's a natural cycle for them.

So in short, I believe as your hens are young, you should still get eggs throughout the winter period without the aid of artificial light, just not as many as you would in the summer months.

cheekychook
Admin

View user profile http://www.henkeeping.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top