Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:55 pm by cheekychook

» feed during the colder months
Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:53 pm by cheekychook

» please help
Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:20 pm by GGBEAR

» Older hen problem
Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:03 pm by Theanalyst

» What's Your HenStory?
Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:59 pm by What'sYourHenStory?

» henhouse temperature ?
Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:50 am by fishfarmer

» new chickens not laying
Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:31 am by chrissib

» Chick won't go home to lay??
Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:48 am by fishfarmer

» odd egg laying
Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:55 pm by GGBEAR

Classifieds
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of Clucks & Chooks on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Clucks & Chooks on your social bookmarking website

Please help - chickens have Lice

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Please help - chickens have Lice

Post  hennypenny on Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:11 am

Hi my chickens have had lice for few weeks now. I have put smite over them and the hen house, changed the bedding in the run and coop and covered them again a week later but they are still scratching and pulling out feathers. I have put some of the purple wound spray on the areas that are exposed, on their bottom areas but this morning one of them had a white patch on their bottom? Is the area infected? What should I do? Not experienced at this but the chickens are really well looked after but looking a bit bedraggled with their missing feathers. Thanks Very Happy

hennypenny
Hatchling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Please help - chickens have Lice

Post  Aurore on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:49 pm

Hi again!

First of all: do your hens have a dust bath? This is essential to keep lice and other parasites under control.

I read that smite works only if it's not washed away: have your hens been wet? Has it been raining where you are? If unsure, I'd put some again.

Not sure about the white patch on the bottom... Is it wet? Dry? What does it look like??

Aurore
Hatchling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hennypenny on Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:57 pm

Hi thanks for reply. I managed to have a look today and seem to be lice free so not sure why they are still losing feathers? I have sprayed their bottoms again with purple patch and hopefully it will just get better with time. They haven't been in rain when they were covered with Smite....white patch hmm not sure really will have to see how it transpires.. Very Happy 

hennypenny
Hatchling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aurore on Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:01 pm

Ah that's cool if you managed to get rid of the lice! Some of the white ones eat feathers though, which might explain the loss: I'd keep checking if I were you...

Also, feathers are mostly made of proteins, so I'd add some to their diet to help them recover! (mealworms mmm).

Hope they'll recover allright!

Aurore
Hatchling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top