Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:55 pm by cheekychook

» feed during the colder months
Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:53 pm by cheekychook

» please help
Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:20 pm by GGBEAR

» Older hen problem
Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:03 pm by Theanalyst

» What's Your HenStory?
Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:59 pm by What'sYourHenStory?

» henhouse temperature ?
Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:50 am by fishfarmer

» new chickens not laying
Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:31 am by chrissib

» Chick won't go home to lay??
Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:48 am by fishfarmer

» odd egg laying
Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:55 pm by GGBEAR

Classifieds
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of Clucks & Chooks on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Clucks & Chooks on your social bookmarking website

Chick won't go home to lay??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chick won't go home to lay??

Post  emmak on Mon May 05, 2014 12:35 am

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and having chooks but am totally loving it.

We have 4 chickens, only 2 of which are laying at the moment.

One girl has it all sorted but the other just drops her egg where ever she likes. There is no particular place in the run that she lays, she has never laid in the nesting box and if we let her out of the run before she lays then we have to go on a egg hunt in the garden and bush, she won’t go home to lay.

I have tried making a nesting box and putting it in the run so at least she will lay in the same place each day, but nope, any random place will do.

I can cope with her laying any random place in the run but having to keep them in the run until she lays is a bit of a pain, especially since my work hours are changing soon so won’t be able to hang around and wait.

How can encourage her to either lay in the roughly the same place or at least go home to lay???

Thanks

emmak
Hatchling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

chickens sporadic laying

Post  fishfarmer on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:48 am

hi emmak,being a newby to chicken keeping i have a similar situation,my chooks was all laying quite regular,we have a large henhouse and run so i was keeping chooks in till after they layed ie between 7.30am and 1pm.but since they have got used to roamin the land,mostly woodland, i have been letting them freerange from sunrise to sunset and my egg count has gone down im wondering if they layin elsewhere? or are they more interested in foraging than doin the buisness Rolling Eyes I see you had no response to your query did you find an answer elsewhere and can pass your wisdom on??
fishfarmer
Hatchling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top