Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:55 pm by cheekychook

» feed during the colder months
Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:53 pm by cheekychook

» please help
Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:20 pm by GGBEAR

» Older hen problem
Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:03 pm by Theanalyst

» What's Your HenStory?
Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:59 pm by What'sYourHenStory?

» henhouse temperature ?
Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:50 am by fishfarmer

» new chickens not laying
Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:31 am by chrissib

» Chick won't go home to lay??
Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:48 am by fishfarmer

» odd egg laying
Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:55 pm by GGBEAR

Classifieds
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of Clucks & Chooks on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Clucks & Chooks on your social bookmarking website

New chooks ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New chooks ?

Post  flump on Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:39 am

My friend who had all her chooks eaten by the fox has aquired 14 more but she doesn't want them all and has offered me some.Now im not sure how to introduce them to my two girls,i only want another two and need some advice on how to do this without them spitting feathers at each other.
Any help greatly appreciated.
flump

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New chooks ?

Post  cheekychook on Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:37 pm

Hey Flump!

I personally separate the new hens within the pen so all the hens can see one another and get used to the idea of sharing the pen. I keep them separated for anywhere between 2-5 days and offer separate housing too. The integration still ends up with the newbies getting it in the neck but the pecking order has to take place and after a while it does settle down. I make sure there are enough feeders and drinkers available to them so the newbies aren't denied access to eat and drink by the others. Make sure there's enough room for the newbies to flee any attacks too.

It always appears quite brutal but the one lower down in the pecking order just find a way to adapt and end up living quite happily amongst their aggressors.

It's always nice to see on days where they all gather and have a session of communal preening. The pecking order just seems to have no place during that time and they all get on!
cheekychook
Admin

View user profile http://www.henkeeping.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  flump on Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:04 pm

Hiya
Thanks for the info,i kept them seperated until yesterday when i decided to let the new ladies out in the garden with gert & daisy,everything was fine until gert spotted them and she let them both know who is boss by jumping at them and showing her chest off,the new girls reacted in the same way and it was over in minutes.
Last night i let them all sleep together,gave them pizza and a good dvd to keep their minds occupied lol,i checked later in the night and all was fine,let them all out tbis morning and it was like they had been friends for years...well so far ! The only concern i have at the moment is that the brown one 'elsie' keeps picking on the white oe 'pearl' i have put a bumper on her for now but everytime pearl goes to eat anything elsie bunts her so she has to move away until she goes to eat again and elsie does the same,any ideas on how to stop this or will she just get fed up that she can't peck pearl and give up doing it ?
Im not sure how old the chooks are but i was told they are POL so justy waiting now for eggs.
The brown one by the way has white ears if that helps to determine what breed she might be.
flump

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheekychook on Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:53 pm

Ar, nice to hear it's not been too much of an episode!

Hopefully the bumper bit will deter any future pecking but let us know how you get on!

White ears usually indicate that the hen will lay white eggs but that's not always the case.
cheekychook
Admin

View user profile http://www.henkeeping.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  flump on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:41 pm

The new girls have settled in lovely,a few times gert & daisy point their feathers at them but otherwise no pecking or fighting !The bumper has stopped elsie
pecking pearl so it's coming off at the weekend.
The new ladies have slowly started coming to the top of the garden now,but still a bit wary,hopefully in the summer i can get them hand tamed as they are very wary of me unless i have cheese of course !
I get three eggs a day now,one which is smaller than the rest and a lighter brown which i assume is elsies egg ? i assume pearl will lay white eggs ?
flump

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top