Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:55 pm by cheekychook

» feed during the colder months
Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:53 pm by cheekychook

» please help
Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:20 pm by GGBEAR

» Older hen problem
Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:03 pm by Theanalyst

» What's Your HenStory?
Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:59 pm by What'sYourHenStory?

» henhouse temperature ?
Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:50 am by fishfarmer

» new chickens not laying
Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:31 am by chrissib

» Chick won't go home to lay??
Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:48 am by fishfarmer

» odd egg laying
Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:55 pm by GGBEAR

Classifieds
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of Clucks & Chooks on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Clucks & Chooks on your social bookmarking website

Broody hen ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Broody hen ?

Post  flump on Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:16 pm

Pearl i think has gone broody,for last few days she sits in the nest box a couple of times there has been eggs but she doesnt seem to be bothered if there is or not.I really struggle to get her out after her shouting at me etc,but as soon as i turn my back she back in there again.The other hens eventually lay their eggs but with a struggle as she wont move for them,today i had to lift daisy out of the nest box as pearl had trapped her in !
How do you stop this ? assuming she is broody ? any help greatly appreciated.
flump -x-

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Broody hen ?

Post  cheekychook on Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:51 pm

Hey Flump! I've had to deal with broody hens in the past and they can be stubborn little terrors. Mad

If she fluffs up and shows signs of not appreciating being taken out of the nest box, is clucky and generally quite bad tempered then she is showing typical signs of broodiness.

Check out this section of the C&C website for tips on how to get your hens to snap out of their broody phase: Broody info >>

The key is to keep at it otherwise it just drags on and Pearl will steadily become out of condition. Becareful that her weight doesn't drop particulary as she'll need the extra fat to keep warm at this time of year.

Good luck! Very Happy
cheekychook
Admin

View user profile http://www.henkeeping.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  flump on Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:20 pm

Thanks,i'll take a look at that in a mo,She definately is broody,everyday now i have to take her out of the nest box,she clucks like hell and runs up and down the garden making hell of a noise ! Tonight i went egg checking and she was sitting on one again,as i tried to move her she pecked me,not hard but to let me know she was in a mood.Before i read the article on broody hens i was thinking of asking a friend who has lots of hens if i could have a fertile egg for her to sit on,would this be advisable ? Anyway i'll check the article out now and probably edit this post.
Thanks for your help
flump -x-

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  flump on Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:41 pm

Just to add to this,im not sure if pearl has ever laid an egg yet, it's either pearl or elsie who is laying the smaller pearl shaped egg i dont know who tho,so basicaly,can pearl still go broody even tho she hasnt laid and egg ?
Thanks for the link,ive phoned a friend who is going to ask down the allotment if anyone has some spare fertile eggs i can have for her.Now if i get the eggs is there anything i need to do or know ?
flump -x-

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yorky on Tue May 26, 2009 6:36 pm

I too have a broody and have made an impromptu broody cage consisting of:

A bird food crow protector: this is a metal cage with 2" square mesh. It had no floor so i've attached some chicken wire to the bottom of it.

I've suspended the four corners on blocks so the bird cannot sit comfortably.

There is a plastic feed bowl tied to one corner and a water bowl to the other.

It's been in there since Sunday night and it happens to have been dry weather. Should the pen have a roof on it?

Yorky
Hatchling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top