Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:55 pm by cheekychook

» feed during the colder months
Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:53 pm by cheekychook

» please help
Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:20 pm by GGBEAR

» Older hen problem
Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:03 pm by Theanalyst

» What's Your HenStory?
Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:59 pm by What'sYourHenStory?

» henhouse temperature ?
Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:50 am by fishfarmer

» new chickens not laying
Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:31 am by chrissib

» Chick won't go home to lay??
Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:48 am by fishfarmer

» odd egg laying
Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:55 pm by GGBEAR

Classifieds
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of Clucks & Chooks on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Clucks & Chooks on your social bookmarking website

Why did you choose to keep hens?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why did you choose to keep hens?

Post  cheekychook on Fri May 02, 2008 2:17 pm

I'm interested to know why people decided to get into keeping chooks.

For me, I decided to keep hens for a few reasons.

A couple of years ago we moved from the suburbs of Manchester to a more rural location further North. We had a patch of land where we decided to plant a few young fruit trees and my OH was into permaculture at the time. We joked about getting chickens now that we were in the country but more and more, it became something I started to seriously consider and so began doing some research.

We decided to fence off the fruit tree area and keep the chooks in there to serve a couple of purposes. One was to allow the hens access to any pests that the fruit trees may suffer from, two to keep the ground well fed (chicken poo) and the hens could feed on any windfall to save any waste.

I also try to be quite conscious of where my food comes from and wasn't very confident with what the supermarket call "free range" eggs.

So, I guess in short I keep hens partly for permaculture reasons but also because of their delicious and nutritious eggs and most importantly because they are such cracking little animals, full of character and personality! Very Happy
cheekychook
Admin

View user profile http://www.henkeeping.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Why did we decide to keep chooks?

Post  vinceb on Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:06 am

Similar to you we have a corner of the garden where we tried to grow vegetables, without much success, so we decided to look at doing something else with the land, my wife and I had talked about chickens for a while and then visited a relative who unknown to us had 4 hens.

That was it, after seeing them roaming freely around the garden we were hooked, we fenced off the corner, fixed some netting over the top, bought a coop and 4 hens all within 2 weeks of visiting my relative.

Its been 4 days since we bought the hens and we have had 4 lovely eggs every day since.

Great hobby and yes they are great pets although our pet rottweiller isnt impressed by the competitors for attention.

vinceb
Hatchling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why did you choose to keep hens?

Post  cheekychook on Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:18 pm

Wow, sounds like your girls settled in quickly with getting eggs so soon!

How is your dog around the hens? There are many hen keepers who have said that their pet cats and dogs generally get on well with the chooks without causing them harm or making much fuss. I'd be a bit hesitant introducing them myself but I suppose if you know your pets disposition...

It's good having a dog around by the chooks, his scent should be a deterrent to foxes and any other predators. I have to get my other half to pee around the pen perimeter and coop to deter the foxes and pine martens etc! Laughing
cheekychook
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  craigio180 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:14 pm

the shed at the bottom of my garden was never used! so i decided to make it into a coop for 3 black rocks and have some fresh eggs daily! the girls are really funny and the other day they told me off for not letting them out early on a sunday as i was hungover and didnt get up until 11! my 3 year old staffy loves the company and chases the cats away when they get nosey around the girls, chickens are easy to look after and evry home should have them! pets,eggs, company for me and the dog and giving a good life for 3 birds!

craigio180
Hatchling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ronnytigs on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:27 pm

I have thought about having chickens for quite some time, and then heard about rescue battery hens.
Even though we've had quite a wait, I wouldn't want to have any other kind of chicken first.
I'd rather know I was allowing them to have a decent life after being cooped up in a cage.

I'll tell you after Saturday if I have made the right decision
Ronnytigs
Hatchling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheekychook on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:14 am

Hey Ronnytigs! Welcome to the forum! cheers

You won't regret it! Chickens both bred and battery are full of character and will keep you entertained.

Let us know how you get on and we want pics too!
Very Happy
cheekychook
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  flump on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:23 pm

I chose to keep hens as i think they are fascinating creatures and very intelligent,i did have 3 black rocks until one died,i will be getting some more next year when the weather is better.I also like getting the fresh eggs everyday and i also have somebody to talk to when everybody has gone work/school !
Mine are so comical,if the back door is shut they tap on it to come in for their daily slice of cheese !
I love my hens and wonder why i never had them years ago.
flump

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ronnytigs on Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:32 pm

CheekyChook wrote:
Let us know how you get on and we want pics too!
Very Happy

No problem, I shall have my camera at the ready Very Happy

So it looks like my supply of cheese is going to be depleted from Saturday then, flump!! Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing
Ronnytigs
Hatchling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  flump on Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:40 am

So it looks like my supply of cheese is going to be depleted from Saturday then, flump!! Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing
Ha ha,yes im afraid you will have to watch the fridge from now on,cuz they love cheese !
flump

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AngelBearTheFirst on Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:14 pm

I am disabled and at home alot of the day. I thought I can do this and it will give me an interest, buy the right house, with the coop at a height I can clean easily etc.

Then I spent 6 months checking, looking and learning all I could. Then ordered my house, they build to order so that was a wait of 3 months. The day after the house arrived, I was off to buy the girls and a starter package.

I remember my parents keeping hens when I was small ( a long time ago). Although they both have now died, I am certain they would be saying, WoW good on you Christine.

AngelBearTheFirst
Hatchling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I Keep Hens Because

Post  xclovervinex on Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:17 pm

I love chickens! I have had them all my life and my parents had them before I was born and I have grown up with them since then. I just keep them as they are fun, lively little creatures and are great company. I don't keep mine for any other reason asI can't even eat the eggs as there is something in the soil preventing me to do so.
xclovervinex
Hatchling

View user profile http://chooksforum.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chick on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:42 pm

....because both of my kids left home in the same week last year (uni and work related) and i, literally, had empty nest syndrome. The chooks are my perfect solution and filled a gap. The other thing is that they are tidier and less stroppy than teenager/early twentiers. Laughing

Chick
Hatchling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top