Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:55 pm by cheekychook

» feed during the colder months
Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:53 pm by cheekychook

» please help
Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:20 pm by GGBEAR

» Older hen problem
Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:03 pm by Theanalyst

» What's Your HenStory?
Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:59 pm by What'sYourHenStory?

» henhouse temperature ?
Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:50 am by fishfarmer

» new chickens not laying
Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:31 am by chrissib

» Chick won't go home to lay??
Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:48 am by fishfarmer

» odd egg laying
Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:55 pm by GGBEAR

Classifieds
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of Clucks & Chooks on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Clucks & Chooks on your social bookmarking website

Broody rooster?????????

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Broody rooster?????????

Post  aeon on Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:42 am

Hi all,
I'm relatively experienced with small chook flocks but a newbie to Japanese quail. I have 3 quail hens & one cockeral. The cock performs his manly duties with great vigor. He is a cream colour with markings around his head. The hens are darker with natural dark bars all over. I think they are a different variety to the cock. They are in a large (approx 12 m squared- its a huge garden block) well ventilated pen in the garden with lots of natural shelters etc. I have tried to emulate as natural an environment as possible. They have however witnessed several hen murders when a neighbour's cat "houdinied" its way in to their enclosure. We were lucky to save any I think. So they have obviously had a period of great stress when this recently occured. The amazing thing is that one of the hens has made a nest and laid a clutch of about 6 to 8 eggs ( not exactly sure as I have tried to keep away from it). She sits on it all day long and gets up ocassionally to eat etc. Whats even more amazing is that when she gets off the eggs, the cock get ON the nest and keeps the eggs warm for her!!!! He appears to do this at least once a day. He also appears to have given up mating any of the hens. My quail friends say its impossible for japaense quail to do this and frankly I think they think my cockerel must be a hen. If anyone out there in chook land has ever experienced this or has advice for me I'd greatly appreciate the opportunity to assist my little quail family in their apparent desire to breed and be great parents. What sould I do next? Its so cold out there if there is the slightest chance the eggs are viable should I try moving mum & nest inside? I dont want to stress them out.
cheers
aeon.

aeon
Hatchling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Broody rooster?????????

Post  flump on Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:32 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum,personally im not up on roosters but im sure somebody on the forum may be able to answer your question.
flump

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top