Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:55 pm by cheekychook

» feed during the colder months
Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:53 pm by cheekychook

» please help
Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:20 pm by GGBEAR

» Older hen problem
Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:03 pm by Theanalyst

» What's Your HenStory?
Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:59 pm by What'sYourHenStory?

» henhouse temperature ?
Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:50 am by fishfarmer

» new chickens not laying
Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:31 am by chrissib

» Chick won't go home to lay??
Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:48 am by fishfarmer

» odd egg laying
Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:55 pm by GGBEAR

Classifieds
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of Clucks & Chooks on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Clucks & Chooks on your social bookmarking website

mite problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down

mite problem

Post  bernipage on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:54 pm

When I was cleaning out my girls coop, I noticed lots of tiny tiny moving black dots, all around their nesting boxes.
I assume these are the mites I have read about.
I have ordered some products fromm the internet to clean the coop and also some other stuff to powder the girls with.
is this a normal problem??
We live in austria and the summers are very very hot, so I'm thinking the mites have got out of control very quickly.
Also conversely, in the winter it will be very cold, with minus temperatures for much of the time.
Will the cold, help keep the mites away in the winter months??
The girls have a big area with lots of dust baths to wallow in,
Any advice gladlt rec.
Also any particularly good products recomendations would be helpful too.
Many thanks No

bernipage
Hatchling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: mite problem

Post  cheekychook on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:54 pm

Hey Berniepage!

Red mite appear almost black but if you squish them they leave a red streak (which is the blood from your chooks). Red mite don't tend to move much when uncovered and usually reside in the nooks and crannies in the coop. Do you think they could be fleas?

Yes it is a normal problem especially when we experience hot weather and they will disappear in the cold months.

I use Poultry shield to clean the coop and to dust the coop, perches and nest boxes I use Diatom which I've found extremely effective and would highly recommend every hen keeper should own a tub of the stuff. It's natural and can be used in the feed to worm the hens, applied to the chickens directly and applied inside the coop to fight red mite infestation.

Garlic is supposed to be effective against red mite. You can rub cloves along the perches and in the nooks and crannies. You can also add garlic powder or Respite to the chooks drink and this is supposed to make the chooks blood taste nasty to parasites without tainting the eggs.

Hope this has been helpful and I hope you get your parasite problem under control soon!

cheekychook
Admin

View user profile http://www.henkeeping.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Ronnytigs on Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:52 am

I find garlic powder really helpful. I actually chuck it all over the coop, and have yet to see any pests appear.

Ronnytigs
Hatchling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hi

Post  xclovervinex on Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:29 am

Hi,
I understand your problem as the same thing happened to me, plus i also live in Australia. I am not sure the temperature will affect the mites but for me, instead of putting things around the cage, i found a cure for the bird. You may not do this as it will cost you but i went to the local vet and got this powder that you put in your chooks drinking water. I didnt let the chooks out free range for a few days and let them drink the powder. After a while i stopped finding mites everywhere as the powder also prevented the chooks form getting mites aswell as got rid of the ones already there.

I hope i helped!

xclovervinex
Hatchling

View user profile http://chooksforum.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top